Butler named No. 1 regional university in the midwest

2020 marks the third consecutive year in which Butler was named the No. 1 regional university in the Midwest. Collegian file photo.

ELLIE ALLEN  |  NEWS EDITOR |  emallen2@butler.edu 

Butler University has been named the No.1 regional university in the Midwest by U.S. News for the third consecutive year. U.S. News also ranked Butler the No. 1 Most Innovative School for the 6th consecutive year and No. 3 for Undergraduate Teaching. 

U.S. News defines regional universities as schools that offer a wide variety of undergraduate degrees and some master’s programs, but few doctoral programs.

In the national ranking, Butler ranked No. 19 in first year experience, No. 23 in senior capstone experience and No. 28 in study abroad opportunities. 

Butler president James Danko said in a campus-wide email that the rankings reinforce Butler’s place as one of the best regional schools in the Midwest. 

These rankings reflect the ongoing excellence of our academic programs and exceptional student experience,” Danko said. “As we continue to pursue our goal of expanding student access and success through the Butler Beyond strategic direction, we are committed to extending this valuable, quality education to a broader set of learners for the good of our community.”

U.S. News looks at 17 different factors when determining rank, including graduation rate, faculty resources and financial resources. Due to COVID-19 disruptions, U.S. News put less of an emphasis on admissions data and alumni giving.Butler also scored a 100 out of 100 in overall performance. The U.S. News website features a complete breakdown of Butler’s score and other area universities.