Coming Out Week: Student group Alliance brings awareness to LGBTQ+ History Month

October is recognized as LGBTQ+ History Month. Photo courtesy of Goldsmiths, University of London.

AIDEN SMITH | STAFF REPORTER | absmith2@butler.edu 

For the first time ever, LGBTQ+ Alliance is hosting events leading up to National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11. Starting on Oct. 7, the student organization will host events that celebrate Pride while creating a safe space and and striving to become a bigger presence on campus. 

Coming Out Week Events:

• Oct. 7: Alliance will have a table at the gazebo outside of Starbucks from 12-4 p.m. to promote the events taking place over the week.
  • Oct. 8: LGBTQ+ groups and organizations from around Indianapolis are joining Alliance in the Reilly Room for a resource fair from 11 a.m. to 2p.m.
  • Oct. 9: LGBTQ+ Friendly Faculty/Staff Dinner in the Diversity Center. From 5:30-7 p.m., attendees can see all of their allies and the people they can turn to for support around campus. 
  • Oct. 10: Open Mic Night at 7 p.m. in the Eidson-Duckwall Recital Hall. Everyone is encouraged to showcase their talents in a safe and supportive place. This is a free event for people to share their stories.
  • Oct. 11: National Coming Out Day. A 70s LGBTQ+ community-inspired soiree in the Diversity Center at 7 p.m. This supportive atmosphere encourages you to wear whatever attire makes you the most comfortable. There will be free food at this event.

Sophomore biology major Mackenzie McQueen is the treasurer of Alliance. She is most excited for the resource fair and the faculty dinner because both of these events bring together allies and LGBTQ+ community members within the Butler and Indianapolis community. 

“We’ve been a presence on campus but not as big of a presence as we like,” McQueen said. “We are trying to push the acceptance of LGBTQ+ community and make a safe space on campus for people in the community and people who are not out yet.”

To McQueen, this week means acceptance and being in a safe space to show her pride. 

“Because I live in a very rural community, I can’t always have the opportunity to celebrate and get up here for Pride,” McQueen said. “The fact that I am now in the city and can get out and actually show pride is very important to me.”

Alliance encourages everyone to attend the events to celebrate regardless if you are part of the LGBTQ+ community or not.