Butler University student Ty Brown dies

Ty Brown was a junior at Butler University. Photo courtesy of Ty Brown Memorial Service Facebook Events page. 

JESSICA LEE | EDITOR-IN-CHIEF | jelee2@butler.edu

On Sept. 2, President James Danko sent a message to the Butler University community informing them of the death of Ty Brown, a junior from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

“Our hearts go out to Ty’s family for the devastating heartbreak they are experiencing,” Danko said in the emailed statement. “We extend our sincerest condolences to his family and all his friends. We join them in mourning the tragic loss of a member of our Butler family.”

The Butler Collegian will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

4:42 p.m. Sept. 4

The memorial service for Brown will be held at 2 p.m. Sept. 7 at Broad Ripple American Legion. Afterwards, people are welcome to share stories, play games and eat food at 6002 Guilford Ave. until sundown.

Brown’s brother Ziyad Bajis shared details of the service on his Facebook page, requesting that people dress casually.

“We would love to see and hear from anyone who Ty may have have made an impact on, no matter how small it may be,” Bajis said in his Facebook post. “I expect there will be a lot of tears but I also want to encourage more laughter, joy and memories.”

In memory of Brown, a GoFundMe fundraiser was started on Sept. 3 by Shaun McIlquham, a family friend according to the page. The money will go toward the family to help with any costs that accumulate during this time to help “ease the stress and the worries that come with funerals.”

The fundraiser has already raised over $10,000 with a goal of $15,000. Some have donated $5, and others have donated $1,000.

11:29 p.m. Sept. 3

According to the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Office, Brown was found on the side of the road near McKenna Road and EMS B32 Lane in Kosciusko County, located in northern Indiana.

WNDU reported that witness Todd Hahn found him around 5 a.m. and called 911 immediately.

According to Fox59, the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office pronounced Brown dead at the scene. An autopsy is being conducted at the Northeast Indiana Forensic Center to try to determine cause of death.

Anyone with information about the case should contact Detective Sergeant Josh Spangle or Detective Neil Likens at 574-267-5667 in Kosciusko County Investigations Department.

11:55 p.m. Sept. 2

Brown died off campus on Sept. 2. There are no further details on the circumstances of his death.

Sam Varie, student body president, and Malin Peterson, student body executive vice president, released a statement to the student body.

“In this difficult time, always remember to be kind to yourself and kind to others, as students experience this tragedy in different ways,” Varie and Malin said in the statement.

https://twitter.com/ButlerSGA/status/1168707538679939072 

Both statements included resources available to students. Counseling and Consultation Services, located in the HRC, can be reached at 317-940-9385 for informal, confidential or consultation services with a staff member. The Center for Faith and Vocation is open for confidential pastoral counseling, and can be reached at 317-923-7252. Students can also reach the St. Vincent Stress Center downtown through their Butler Uber account for free transportation.

Details on services for Brown will be announced by Danko as soon as information becomes available.