Patachou founder Martha Hoover to speak at Butler’s winter commencement

Martha Hoover speaks at an IU women’s conference. Photo courtesy of Patachou, Inc.

ZACH HORRALL | DIGITAL EDITOR | zhorrall@butler.edu

Martha Hoover, the founder and owner of Patachou, Inc., will be the keynote speaker at the winter commencement ceremony, the university announced on Nov. 12.

President James Danko informed students via email that Hoover will receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters.

“Martha Hoover embodies not only the entrepreneurial spirit we encourage in our students, but the responsible leadership and civic engagement that makes a meaningful difference in our world,” according to the announcement.

Hoover’s restaurant chain, Cafe Patachou, is well known by Butler students. There is a location just down the street from Butler’s campus at the corner of 49th Street and Pennsylvania Street.

Patachou Inc. has grown from one Cafe Patachou restaurant in 1989 to six different restaurants in 14 locations throughout Indianapolis. Other restaurants under the Patachou, Inc. name include Petite Chou, Napolese, Public Greens, Crispy Bird and Bar One Fourteen.

Hoover also founded the Patachou Foundation, which helps at-risk Indianapolis children and has supplied over 100,000 meals to underprivileged kids.

Hoover is a graduate of Indiana University, and she got her law degree at IUPUI. Before founding Patachou, Inc., she was a Marion County Prosecutor.

Butler’s winter commencement will take place on Dec. 15 at 10 a.m. in Clowes Memorial Hall.