Cross Country competes in Big East Championship

PHILIP TOR | STAFF REPORTER

Both of Butler’s cross country teams finished in the top five at the Big East Championships last Saturday, with Erik Peterson leading the way finishing in third place in the Men’s race.

Peterson clocked in at 22:50.2 in the eight-kilometer race. Following Peterson, Butler Sophomore Bobby Johnson finished in 19th place, and Sophomore Billy Thomas finished in 21st. In a race with a total of 81 runners, Butler’s Men’s team had all 5 scoring runners place in the top half of the field.

The Men’s team placed 4th out of the 9 Big East competitors with 97 points. Georgetown won the team competition with a total of 33 points, followed by Villanova who fell short by just one point, finishing with 34 points. Providence College rounded out the top 3 with a total of 68 points.

On the Women’s side, senior Olivia Pratt, and junior Katherine Turner led the way with 12th and 13th place finishes, respectively. Pratt finished the 6-kilometer race at 20:11.0, with Turner just 2 seconds behind at 20:13.3. Junior Colleen Weatherford (30th), junior Maddie Westerhoff (37th) and Freshman Meredith Gallagher (50th) rounded out the scoring for Butler who finished 5th of 10 teams in the championships.

Providence College stole the top spot after their 5 scoring runners all placed in the top 15, a netting a low 26 points.

The Cross Country team will next be in action November 13th a the Great Lakes Regional Meet at the Thomas Zimmer Course in Verona, Wisconsin.

1. Tim Johnson said:

Wow, how exciting! Butler XC is up and coming, like a freight train. Nice article, Philip. Always a pleasure to read your work.

-Tim