Dog eat dog: Bulldogs prepare for Husky Classic

BRENDAN KING | STAFF REPORTER

The well-traveled Butler track and field team will hit the road again this week to fly 2,200 miles northwest to the unusually warm temperatures of the University of Washington.

The Bulldogs will compete in the Husky Classic. This will be their second consecutive weekend with a meet after competing last week in the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame.

The Bulldogs will also send a group to Purdue University for the Fred Wilt Invitational.

Junior Erik Peterson won the 3000-meter title at last weekend’s meet. Peterson is an All-American. He finished two seconds above the second-place finisher in the race to lock down Butler’s best finish of the day.

The best finish for the women this past weekend was senior Mara Olson. She placed fifth in the 3000-meter race and finished with a time of 9:26.22.

The Bulldogs will be testing their patience and sleep schedules with all of the travel coming up. Sophomore Bailey Beckham said traveling can be good and bad for the team.

“I think the travel is both a disadvantage and advantage,” Beckham said. “It is a disadvantage because it takes up a lot of time and energy, but that is just how track goes. It can be an advantage because we get to compete against some really big schools like Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky.”

Butler hopes to continue the journey to the Big East championship at Washington and Purdue. Beckham says the goal for the weekend is to keep on grinding through the season.

“The goals for this upcoming meet are to just keep dropping times and keep improving,” Beckham said. “We really just need to keep training and competing hard.”

Teams from all over the country will be represented at the Husky Classic this weekend, including nine teams in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Top 25 rankings.