Suspicious individual reported on campus

The Butler University Police Department issued a timely warning Tuesday afternoon to warn students about a suspicious individual on campus.

Assistant Chief of Police Bill Weber issued the warning after a student was approached Sept. 11.

A man approached a female student at 10 p.m. between Jordan Hall and the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. He identified himself as a police officer by showing a badge in his wallet.

The man told the student he needed to give her an alcohol breath test.

After she did, he let her go.

The Indiana State Excise Police have been working on Butler’s campus as a part of the Intensified College Enforcement program. Its presence on campus this year has caused students to be more aware of police activity.

The man involved is reported to be a white male, 27 to 33 years old, around six feet tall and clean-shaven.

BUPD and the excise police have confirmed that the unknown man is not from either organization.

The warning said excise police normally work in pairs and do not make random stops without probable cause.

The report said a student can request an officer to produce additional identification, and the excise police will most likely show a photo ID card. If detained by the excise police, a student can request a BUPD officer be present as well.

BUPD said it reminds students to contact the department for a safety transportation escort if they need it and to take note of the locations of the Code Blue phones.

If a student encounters a stranger on campus, call BUPD at 317-940-9999.

To receive timely warning notifications, students, faculty and staff can sign up for DawgAlert by going to my.butler.edu and searching under the “My Info Tab.”