After the Buzzer: Women’s soccer vs. Baylor

The Butler Bulldogs suffered an unbearable defeat this Labor Day weekend. They got out-worked by the Baylor Bears and fell 2-0, Multimedia Reporter Jack Francis reports.

[TRANSCRIPT]

The Butler Bulldogs suffered an unbearable defeat this Labor Day weekend. They got out-worked by the Baylor Bears and fell 2-0 despite having 13 to 1 shots in the second half. The Butler Bulldogs fell to 2-4 today as the Bears of Baylor defeated them despite only 1/3 of the shots. Baylor goals were scored by Skylar Zinnecker and Hallie Augustyn.

The big difference was that despite Butler having 12 more attempts, they only had one more shot on goal. This is what Co-head coach Rob Alman had to say about how his team played. 

“Think simply, we gave up two really poor goals off just mental mistakes. Which was really disappointing because we started the game really well. We’re on top through the first 15-20 minutes, then had the mishaps on the goals. The first one especially came against the run of play. So just being a little bit cleaner, making sure we don’t put ourselves in a hole with a couple of those little mental errors. That’s going to be key against anybody that we play going forward” (Alman). 

Butler fans were still happy however due to an appearance from their two favorite Bulldogs Blue and Hink. Though it was a hot one, water breaks were implemented quarterly in order to keep the athletes hydrated. When graduate midfielder Becky Dean was asked how the heat affected her, this was what her response was. 

“I mean, the heat is always a challenge, but we just have to keep our heads right and not let it get to our game and just play how we know how to play” (Dean).

Both Coach Alman and Becky Dean look towards Thursday with high hopes as they take on the Bearcats of Cincinnati. This is how they will prepare. 

“I think going off the second half of this performance is really good heading into Thursday, we played well. We absolutely dominated and we just have to carry that momentum into Thursday and good things will come” (Dean). 

“Yeah, to be honest. I thought we were absolutely brilliant today. The second-half performance was the best we played all season, we were completely dominant. Think it was 13 to 1 in shots. The entire half was played in our attacking half. We played unbelievably slick, creative, attack-minded soccer and broke them down. It was what we wanted. And it was a great response at halftime. So the things that we talked about, though, were completely dominant and just couldn’t find that breakthrough. They did a good job blocking a lot of shots and throwing their bodies in the line.

You know, so really, it’s gonna be a case of ‘can we go hit that level of performance again on Thursday’” (Alman). 

Until next time with the Collegian. I’m Jack Francis, your multimedia reporter