Meet the Lambda Chi Alpha founding fathers

Students help found reinstated chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha. Photo courtesy of Butler Lambda Chi Alpha Instagram. 

SYDNEY MACNEIL | STAFF REPORTER | smacneil@butler.edu

At the beginning of 2019-20 academic year, Butler announced Lambda Chi Alpha would be returning to campus. Some students decided to help found the new chapter, and The Butler Collegian talked with some of them to discuss how and why they reached out to Lambda Chi Alpha, as well as what makes this chapter different from the one that was previously on Butler’s campus. 

Noah Ditzler

Sophomore business marketing major with a minor in political science

The Butler Collegian: Why did you decide to pursue Lambda Chi Alpha and be a founding father, instead of looking to one of the already established fraternities on campus?

ND: “I actually did look at the other established fraternities on campus and rushed, and ended up not getting any bids this last spring, and then afterwards, I realized it’s maybe not what I wanted. I didn’t really fit in any of the houses and I wanted something that I didn’t see available on campus.”

TBC: How did you first become interested in Lambda or how did you first make contact?

ND: “I first made contact with Brett Baker, the director of expansion, and I just looked at their international headquarters website and I was like I felt like that’d be the guy to talk to, so I just emailed him and said ‘I’m interested in what you guys are doing. I heard you’re returning to campus and I’d like to help out in any way,’ and then we had a call from there and I got more details.”

TBC: How and why do you think this re-established Lambda chapter will be different than the chapter that was previously on Butler’s campus?

ND: “Something that our consultant Tyler would say is, a lot of it’s about priorities, right? … Our social events and fun is obviously gonna be on the list, but our top priority is going to be creating better men, improving the lives and the people around us on campus and then having fun also while doing that, of course.” 

Jackson Pastore

Sophomore chemistry major

TBC: Why did you decide to pursue Lambda Chi Alpha and be a founding father, instead of looking to one of the already established fraternities on campus?

JP: “Well Lambda Chi has a lot of opportunities that are really good for personally me, and a lot of the guys I know around campus. And it kinda allows us to do something different and I like the values of stuff that they stand for.”

JP: “I think right now, the way we’re going, it’s looking like we’re gonna stay true to what we have and kinda be more enjoyable for everybody.” 

Nathan Gray

Sophomore criminology and psychology double major

NG: “I rushed last year and no bid, so I went to Meet the Greeks, heard Noah talk, liked what he had to say, mentioned stuff about being able to shape whatever the fraternity is gonna be, which I thought was really cool to create something that’s ours. It’s like we’re gonna leave something whenever we graduate, which is cool.”

NG: “I liked what they have to offer, one of the big things is, we have associate members — we don’t have pledges, so the big thing with that is, there’s no pledgeship, so as soon as you become an associate member you have all the same rights as a brother. You’ll be able to vote, you’ll be able to run for positions — which you won’t find at every fraternity — … [and] absolutely no hazing.”

Matthew Holmes

Sophomore marketing & management information systems double major

MH: “Yeah, so, it wasn’t my initial, ideal choice — I rushed last year and didn’t get a bid, and then when I heard the opportunity, it sounded exciting, and I think this is where I belong now.”

NH: “My roommate Noah Ditzler, he’s the one who made the initial contact with headquarters and that’s when I first heard about it and just thought it was super exciting.”

NH: “I think it starts first with recruitment, just finding guys who really believe in the core values of the fraternity and who sort of demonstrate really high ethical standards.”

Malcolm Sullivan

Sophomore finance and health care management double major

MS: “The idea of starting with something from scratch really appealed to me, and I just saw it as something meaningful to be a part of, and then I saw it as an awesome opportunity overall to kind of create a vision out of this.”

MS: “My suitemate, Nathan Gray, came back one day with this idea and kind of just took off from there.” 

MS: “I guess I’m confident that all the guys in the fraternity are passionate about the growth of the organization and personal growth, so just overall, it’s a very good group of guys that are very committed to this.”