Butler men’s soccer defeats Lipscomb on the road in overtime

Wilmer Cabrera Jr. looks for an open move during a game this season. Cabrera Jr. scored the game-winning goal in the Bulldogs’ 2-1 road victory over Lipscomb on Oct. 16. Chandler Hart / Collegian file photo.

DREW FAVAKEH | STAFF REPORTER | dfavakeh@butler.edu

In overtime, the Butler men’s soccer team defeated Lipscomb 2-1 on Oct. 16 on the road. After a game in which Butler tied DePaul 2-2 due to a foul in the penalty box with 32 seconds remaining, a win against the Bisons was much-needed. Butler improved to 7-4-1 on the season, while Lipscomb dropped to 3-7-1.

The first goal came in the 11th minute. Off a corner kick, junior defender Joel Harvey scored his first goal of the season.

Lipscomb answered in the 15th minute, on a goal from freshman midfielder Lip Pederson. Butler controlled the first half, with seven shots and four corner kicks to Lipscomb’s four and zero, respectively.

The momentum shifted to the Bisons’ side in the second half, though. Lipscomb recorded five shots and four corner kicks to Butler’s two and two, respectively. In the 81st minute, a referee gave Lipscomb junior defender Ben Locke a red card.

A man up, the Bulldogs capitalized in overtime. While Lipscomb recorded zero corner kicks and shots, Butler recorded three shots and one corner kick, with freshman forward Wilmer Cabrera Jr. ending the game in the 98th minute. He scored his fourth goal of the season from an assist from senior midfielder Jared Timmer.

Butler continues its road trip against the 5-5 Seton Hall Pirates on Oct. 19.