Butler University: No. 1 Midwest Regional University

BU statue, Collegian File Photo. 

MEGHAN STRATTON |  NEWS EDITOR | mrstratt@butler.edu

On Sept. 10, Butler University was named #1 Midwest Regional University by U.S. News & World Report’s 32nd annual report of best colleges. This is Butler’s first top ranking in the Best Colleges list after spending eight years in second place.

Butler received an overall score of 100/100 and tied with Creighton University for the top spot.

Among Midwest Regional Universities, Butler also received the top spot for undergraduate teaching and retained the number one position for most innovative school.

Butler University President James Danko released an email statement to the community celebrating Butler’s placement. According to Danko’s statement, the U.S. News report brings positive attention to the university and increases the value of Butler degrees.

This recognition does more than strengthen nationwide awareness of Butler’s academic quality,” Danko said in his announcement. “It serves as an affirmation of our commitment to the well-being of our students and the successful achievement of our educational mission.”

On the annual Best Colleges list, U.S. News divides universities into regional and national categories, and then by region. The main difference between the two categories is that national universities offer extensive masters and doctoral programs.

U.S. News uses statistical quantitative and qualitative data to rank universities according to 16 academic quality standards. Examples of these measures include retention rates, faculty resources, and graduate performance.

Class size falls into the faculty resources category, and Butler excelled with a 11:1 student faculty ratio. Meredith McAllister, associate professor in the College of Education, said she believes Butler has always been a leader in liberal arts education.

“I think Butler has always provided an outstanding quality of higher education,” McAllister said. “It’s nice to be recognized.”

Several Butler community members have also taken pride in the school’s ranking by posting celebratory messages on social media.

Cole McNamara, sophomore political science and sociology major, expressed contentment that Butler has been ranked above one of its basketball rivals, Xavier University.

“Well, it’s just another final four that Xavier’s never been to,” McNamara said. “But also I’m proud of Butler. It’s really cool to be placed on a list with such prestigious universities. Go Dawgs, you know.”

You can follow Meghan on Twitter @meghan_stratton.