The week ahead in Butler sports: Sept. 10 – Sept. 16

Louie Bulger takes a corner kick for the Bulldogs. Butler opens Big East play on the road at Creighton on Sept. 15. Jimmy Lafakis/Collegian file photo.

DREW SANDIFER | STAFF REPORTER | dsandife@butler.edu

Thursday, Sept. 13:

Women’s soccer at Baylor

Bulldog fans have to wait until Thursday for their first taste of action this week as the 22nd-ranked women’s soccer team faces the Baylor Bears out of the Big 12. This will be the first of the Bulldogs’ two-game road trip of Big 12 teams in the state of Texas. The Bulldogs received 121 points in the most recent United Soccers Coaches poll while Baylor received three points. In home games, however, Baylor has outscored their opponents 14-1. Salute to the Heroes Day takes place at Betty Lou Mays Soccer Field in Waco, Texas. The action begins at 8 p.m.

Friday, Sept. 14:

Volleyball vs Cleveland State

Old foes are reunited on Friday as the Butler volleyball team hosts the Cleveland State Vikings out of the Horizon League, a conference in which these two competed for 18 years. From 2002 to 2011, these two held about a .500 record against the other, while meeting in the Horizon League Tournament multiple times. The Bulldog Brawl, the Bulldogs’ final home tournament begins with this Horizon League rematch at 7 p.m. in Hinkle Fieldhouse on Friday.

Saturday, Sept. 15:

Volleyball vs Santa Clara

The Bulldog Brawl continues early Saturday morning as Butler volleyball hosts the Santa Clara Broncos. The Broncos may have an especially difficult time with the alarm clock as the game begins at 7 a.m. PT. Through their first nine games of the season, Natalie Ravanell and Bri Lilly lead the team in kills with 90 and 80, respectively. Redshirt Maddie Freiwald leads the team with 179 assists. Tickets for Saturday’s 10 a.m. match are free courtesy of butlerbulldoggear.com.

Football vs Princeton

On Saturday, Butler football opens up their 2018 home slate with a game against the historic Princeton Tigers. Princeton football is famous for participating in the first ever intercollegiate football game against Rutgers. For reference, Princeton was playing football nearly 60 years before the construction of Hinkle Fieldhouse. The Tigers have claimed a record 28 national championships. Only 15 are recognized the NCAA, however, and the most recent championship occurred in 1922. The Tigers of today are no joke as they dispatched 2017 Pioneer League champion San Diego a season ago, 27-17. Kickoff from the Sellick Bowl is at 6 p.m. as Butler hosts Youth Football Night.

Volleyball vs Kent State

To finish off the Bulldog Brawl, the Bulldogs face off against the Kent State Golden Flashes. These teams squared off a season ago in the Golden Flashes Classic. Butler swept Kent State, 3-0, behind Whitney Beck’s 14 kills and 13 digs. Butler was one of Kent State’s 22 losses in a rough season for the Golden Flashes. First serve from Hinkle Fieldhouse is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Men’s soccer at Creighton

To open conference play, the defending Big East champion Butler men’s soccer team visits the Creighton Bluejays. After losses to Drake and Columbia, the Bulldogs have fallen out of the Top 25 for the first time this season. They received 22 points in the poll and would be ranked 33rd if the polls were extended. Creighton, who received 11 points, would be 37th. In their matchup last year, the Bulldogs came back from a 2-0 behind Brandon Guhl’s two goals and Alex Lehtinen’s go-ahead goal in the 93rd minute. Kickoff from Morrison Stadium in Omaha is at 8 p.m. and can be followed on the Big East Digital Network.

Men’s and Women’s cross country at John McNichols Invitational

On Saturday, both men’s and women’s cross country teams are set to compete in the John McNichols Invitational. A season ago, the men competed in this meet, finishing fourth in the large school 8,000-meter race. Illinois, Indiana State, and Louisville finished ahead of the Bulldogs. Then-senior Michael Carey was the first Bulldog to finish, followed closely by Jackson Martin and Blake Roberts. The action is set to begin from Indiana’s State’s campus on Saturday at an undetermined time.

Sunday, Sept. 16:

Women’s soccer at TCU

As the Butler women’s soccer team finishes up their nonconference schedule, they stay in the state of Texas to take on the TCU Horned Frogs. Had the United Soccer Coaches Poll been extended, the Horned Frogs would be featured as the 30th best team in the nation. This rounds out an impressive group of opponents for the Bulldogs as they polish up before the start of Big East play. TCU finished third in the Big 12 last year where they reached the NCAA Tournament as an at-large. They lost to Arizona in the first round. Action from Jane Justin Field in Fort Worth begins at 2 p.m.

Follow Drew on Twitter: @drew_sandifer