SOG 2016 applications out

KRISTIN CAMILIERE | STAFF REPORTER

Student Orientation Guide applications for fall of 2016 are now available.

In order to apply, students must have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA and previous leadership roles or involvement in high school or college is preferred. Those wanting to apply cannot be on academic probation with Butler University.

Student orientation guides are responsible for a group of first year students through their Welcome Week. SOGs help first year students get acquainted with campus and bond with their incoming class.

“You have to break the first year students out of their shell and also seek out students who are less social or maybe homesick,” Kat Locasio, senior SOG, said.

Daneil Oepkes, senior SOG, agrees.

“You have to be outgoing and break the ice, and you also have to incorporate the quieter people in the group and make them feel comfortable,” Oepkes said.

Photo submitted by Daniel Oepkes.

Photo submitted by Daniel Oepkes.

Being a SOG can help students develop basic life long skills.

“Being a SOG has boosted my confidence and has allowed me to start conversations that I wouldn’t have. It has made me more outgoing,” Oepkes said.

Not only do SOGs develop valuable skills, but they also make memories.

“My favorite memory would be the Target takeover. It was fun to dance around the store and now when I go back to that Target I remember where I did the ‘whip and nae nae,’” Senior Drew Horn said.

SOG applications are due Feb. 15 at 5 p.m. Applications are available at: http://butler.formstack.com/forms/sogapp2016