Get to know your SGA senators: ResCo edition

BLAKELY HEATON | STAFF REPORTER

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 8.33.37 PM

Trenton Wright will represent Residential College as senator for the Student Government Association this 2015-2016 academic year.

There were two senator positions available to represent ResCo, and Wright ran unopposed for one. The SGA Cabinet will appoint someone to the other ResCo senator position, according to the SGA Constitution.

Wright said he wants to get the ResCo students more engaged and involved during his time as senator.

“I want to try to get more engagement from the student body and get more involvement,” Wright said. “Whether it is by holding certain events that SGA has or by talking to [ResCo residents] and getting their feedback on certain things SGA has going on.”

Duane Leatherman, associate professor of mathematics and a faculty-in-residence at Butler University, has been living in Residential College for 26 years.

“I would like to see [Wright] communicate with the hall government,” Leatherman said. He hopes there is “more of a sense of community” in ResCo.

“One thing we are doing in my unit is that we are going to try to get doorstops to open doors, to try to get people to leave their doors open,” Leatherman said. “When you walk down the hallways now all the doors are closed.”

Another student in ResCo hopes to get to know his senator better.

“I hope he holds a meet and greet event soon,” Adam Lucchesi, a sophomore resident, said. “It would be a good way for us to connect and make ResCo a more involved community.”

The official list of senators for the 2015-2016 academic year will be released Oct. 5.

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 8.33.19 PM

ResCo senator Trenton Wright