New members bring in new excitement to Greek life

KIRSTEN ADAIR  | STAFF REPORTER

Sigma Chi bid day Courtesy of John Perdikaris

On Jan. 11, the excitement of Bid Day could be felt across Butler’s campus. Many Butler students involved in Greek life waited with anticipation.

Carly Allen, a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, worked as a recruitment counselor for girls going through the recruitment process.

“I think that it was a really positive year, and I think that pledge classes were really large.”

This hasn’t fazed freshman Catie Ligget, one of the 53 new members of Delta Gamma.

“I wanted to meet more people and make more friends, and I wanted to give back to the community through philanthropy,” she said.

Phi Delta Theta also experienced a larger pledge class. Senior member of Phi Delta Theta, Kit Mohler, said that this year’s pledge class of 26 is one of the best classes he has ever seen.

“It went really well,” said Mohler. “We had our largest pledge class since our refounding.”

As a senior at Phi Delta Theta, Mohler’s pledge class is the last class to remember the refounding fathers of the fraternity.

He said that since its refounding in 2008, Phi Delta Theta has done a good job of learning what it wants. This year, Mohler said the fraternity got the majority of the guys it wanted.

“I am excited for the new class, and I will be back to visit after I graduate,” he said.

Junior Jordan Reisman, a member of Sigma Chi, said the fraternities as a whole are working on their weaknesses.

After having a pledge class of 30 last year, Sigma Chi reduced this year’s pledge class to 25 individuals.

“We wanted 25 because we thought that there was a little bit of a split with this last class,” he said. “We thought that the smaller number would do us better.”

Reisman also said that over the past few years he has noticed that brotherhood and overall GPA has increased, and that he thinks the new members have high aspirations.

“I would tell [new members] to learn from the people who are older than you as much as you can during this time, and have huge aspirations to get a leadership position or impact the fraternity in the best way possible,” he said. “Reach for the stars. As cliché as that sounds, it is the way to go.”

Tri delta

Delta Delta Delta bid day Courtesy of Cole Smith