Bulldogs open conference play looking to improve

AUSTIN MILLER | STAFF REPORTER

An 8-4 start to the season has the Butler volleyball team looking to make its big statement as it heads into Big East conference play.

The Bulldogs will face a tough test with a pair of road matchups this weekend when they open conference play at Creighton University (7-6) on Friday, Sept. 26, and at Georgetown University (6-7) on Sunday, Sept. 28.

Coming off of a weekend invitational at Indiana University, which saw Butler go 2-1, including a sweep of the Hoosiers in the Saturday nightcap. Butler is looking to add a signature win to its resume. Photo by Veena Barona

Friday’s match with Creighton is a prime opportunity to do so, as the Bluejays were tabbed as favorites in the Big East preseason poll. Creighton was also one of just two teams to represent the Big East in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

The Bulldogs know they face a tough task when they visit the Bluejays.

“Creighton is definitely a team we know we can’t overlook,” senior Belle Obert said. “They had a tough preseason schedule, and their record doesn’t reflect how dangerous they are.”

Butler and Creighton split a pair of home-and-home matches last season with each team holding serve on their home court.

The team will face a quick turnaround as it travels across the country in the span of two days to face the Georgetown Hoyas.

The travel is an obstacle the players know they must overcome.

“It is definitely a strange situation, traveling so far in one weekend,” Obert said, “but we know we can’t sleep on Georgetown, and it just makes our focus that much more critical.”

The Hoyas stand at 6-7 overall going into Big East play.

Although Butler’s travel may be unforgiving, Georgetown will try to overcome its own scheduling obstacles: Butler will be its third conference opponent in six days.

The beginning of conference play marks an opportunity for Butler to attack the season’s goals head on.

“At this point our main focus is making the conference tournament, and we know what we have to do to get there,” Obert said. “We have to focus. We can’t afford to take bad losses.”