Women’s soccer team ties twice, gears up for No. 11 Michigan

The transition from summer to fall is not often known for blossoming and growth. For the Butler women’s soccer team, however, that is exactly what is happening.

The Bulldogs have compiled a 4-1-2 record thus far.

One of their most prominent opponents, Michigan, will come to the Butler Bowl Sept. 15 at 1 p.m.

The Wolverines are 5-0 and ranked No. 11 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Coaches Poll. The Wolverines’ leading scorer, senior Nkem Ezurike, has four goals and five assists in only five games.

Freshman goaltender Taylor Bucklin has started all five of Michigan’s games, recording two shutouts.

On Sunday afternoon, the Bulldogs took on the Eastern Michigan Eagles in a non-conference contest, ending in a 1-1 tie after two overtimes.

The match was quickly paced. In the first half, Butler was unable to capitalize on their chances because of the play of Eastern Michigan sophomore goaltender Megan McCabe.

A strange bounce went the Bulldogs’ way in the middle of the first half to get Butler on the board.

Eastern Michigan and Butler players were both going for the ball, and McCabe misplayed it, going off her foot and into the goal to give Butler the lead. Senior forward Katie Griswold got credit for the goal.

Eastern Michigan tied the game late in the second half after senior midfielder Cara Cutaia’s shot found the top left corner of the net.

Butler had a shot ring off the crossbar during overtime, but that was as close as either team came to breaking the tie.

The Bulldogs took on the Seattle Redhawks in another home non-conference match Friday night. Like the Eastern Michigan game, it ended in a 1-1 tie.

There were many early offensive chances for the Bulldogs, with six shots, three of which were on goal.

Butler sophomore midfielder Sophie Maccagnone drew first blood in the second half, drilling a free kick  past Seattle goalie Brianna Smallidge to put the Bulldogs up 1-0.

In the final minute of regulation, Seattle sophomore midfielder Kiana Kraft put a shot past senior goalie Julie Burton to tie the game.

Butler had seven total shots in overtime, with Smallidge saving the only two that were on goal.