Women’s soccer finishes in 1-1 draw with Seattle

BRENDAN KING STAFF REPORTER

The Butler women’s soccer team drew 1-1 with Seattle in a non-conference game at the Butler Bowl.

As many soccer games go, it was a back and forth contest with the ball being in both teams’ zones throughout the night.

There were many early chances for the Bulldogs, but Seattle sophomore goalkeeper Brianna Smallidge had the answer for Butler’s early shots.

The first big save from Smallidge came from a breakaway from junior forward Stephanie Kaylor right in front of the net. Smallidge had the answer with a diving save.

As the first half came to a close, Butler junior defender Kelly Mahoney had a chance for an open-net header, but unfortunately it rang off the post.

When the second half began, both teams really took it up a level.

As it began, both teams became very physical going for the ball in the tough areas.

It was a game of inches until Butler sophomore midfielder Sophie Maccagnone, was given a free kick. She blew it right past Smallidge and just like that the Bulldogs were up 1-0.

The Bulldogs were in control, and Seattle was having a tough time getting to the ball.

Seattle was battling out in front in the final minute of regulation Seattle redshirt sophomore midfielder Kiana Kraft got a hold of one and put it right past Butler senior goalkeeper Julie Burton to tie it up.

Neither team was able to score after two 10-minute overtime period, resulting in a 1-1 tie.