The Indie Indy you wish you knew

Indianapolis is home to unique and exciting music venues for students looking to get away from the Butler Bubble for a weekend.

The Slippery Noodle Inn offers live blues seven nights a week.

The oldest running bar in Indianapolis, The Slippery Noodle Inn has seen its share of history.

Established in 1850, it was a station on the Underground Railroad during the Civil War and was later frequented by the Dillinger gang.

The Slippery Noodle Inn hosted big blues names in the past, including the legendary John Mayall, who has performed with Eric Clapton.

Students under 21 can be in the restaurant until 8 p.m.

The Slippery Noodle Inn is located at 372 S. Meridian St.

Another famed Indianapolis venue, The Jazz Kitchen, was named one of the “Top 100 Jazz Clubs in the World” by DownBeat Magazine.

The Jazz Kitchen is not only famous for its music. Part of the venue’s appeal is its extensive dinner menu, which is sure to satisfy any appetite.

Lee Ritenour, a Grammy-winning jazz guitarist, is booked to play at The Jazz Kitchen on April 9.

Students must be at least 21 to be admitted into The Jazz Kitchen.

Those wishing to spend an evening at The Jazz Kitchen must make reservations in advance.

It is located at 5377 N. College Ave.

A common link between many venues is the age requirement.

Some students who are under 21 feel they are stuck on campus because they are not old enough to visit the venues.

“It’s discouraging when you can’t get into a venue,” freshman Andrew Sutherland said. “There is a lot of music and people I want to support, but I can’t.”

The Vogue in Broad Ripple is a good solution for students looking for more indie acts.

Popular upcoming acts for the spring and summer include They Might Be Giants, Mos Def and Matt & Kim.

The Vogue has hosted a wide variety of artists in the past, including everyone from The Ramones and Johnny Cash to the White Stripes.

The Vogue hosts many concerts and has dance nights on Wednesdays.

Depending on the show, students under 21 can attend concerts at The Vogue.

This causes the issue of age to still come into play.

“The bands that play at The Vogue are usually 21 and up, and then there’s the issue of transportation,” sophomore Audra Edwards said.

Just a few minutes off campus, The Vogue is located at 6259 N. College Ave.

Indianapolis is one of the most vibrant Midwest cities. This helps in drawing bigger artists to the Indianapolis area.

“I tend to look for a specific artist when I go to shows,” junior Logan Brock said. “But a good atmosphere in the venue is important too.”

Under 21?

Check out the Fountain Square Theatre Building.

Inside are duckpin bowling, swing dances, a movie theater, restaurants and more.

Fountain Square Theatre is located at 1105 Shelby Street.