McGrath earns Hall of Fame

Jim McGrath, Butler associate athletics director for communications, has been announced as an inductee in the College Sports Information Directors of America Hall of Fame.

“It’s hard to wrap your hands around when you’re being honored for doing your job,” McGrath said. “I’m doing something that I love, and I try to do it the best that I can. And then to be honored for it, it’s a little bit overwhelming.

McGrath said he considers it “a tremendous honor” to be considered for accolades alongside people he has known and learned from. McGrath has worked at Butler since 1981 when he became the school’s first and only sports information director.

He has also been the host sports information director for four NCAA men’s basketball Final Fours and one women’s basketball Final Four.

Josh Rattray, assistant sports information director, said McGrath was a major draw in his decision to work for Butler.

“Being able to work with Jim,” Rattray said, “a guy with his profile and his national reputation was a big plus for me to come here to Butler.”

Five other sports information directors will be inducted alongside McGrath.

McGrath said he looks forward to seeing friends and colleagues at the induction ceremony, which will be held at the CoSIDA annual convention in June in Orlando, Fla.

McGrath said he is glad for the opportunity to be inducted with  Notre Dame’s Bernadette Cafarelli.

“We’ve been friends for years and years, and we worked together in the NCAA Final Four media coordination staff,” McGrath said. “I’m as excited for her going in as I am for me.

“I get to see a lot of people I’ve worked with through the years, really from back in the days when I was at Augustana College.”

McGrath said the many assistant sports information directors, as well as coaches and administrators who have worked with him, deserve credit for their support.

“It’s made it the kind of job that you can stay on for 32 years, and made it easy for me to do my job and put me in a position to get this kind of a recognition,” McGrath said.