Women’s Soccer: Butler falls at Michigan

The Butler women’s soccer team failed to knock off its second Big Ten opponent this season when it faced the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor Friday.

The Wolverines (6-2-0) got an early jump on the Bulldogs (3-3-1) and rode the momentum to a 3-0 victory.

It took just 10 minutes for Michigan junior midfielder Meghan Toohey to dent the twine, pushing the Wolverines to a 1-0 lead.

“Instead of holding our ground and just playing our game, we adjusted to their strengths and it cost us an early goal we should have easily defended,” sophomore midfielder Katie Reed said.

Butler freshman goalkeeper Mackenzie Hopkins recorded all three of her saves in the first half of the contest.

Michigan’s offense struck again within the first five minutes of the second half.

A cross by freshman forward Corinne Harris sailed over Hopkins and into the net, extending the Wolverines’ lead to 2-0.

Harris slipped another shot past Hopkins only 51 seconds later, giving Michigan a 3-0 lead.

The final goal put the nail in Butler’s coffin, adding to a deficit that proved too much for the Bulldogs to overcome.

“I think we can take a lot from this loss,” Reed said. “If we don’t all get on the same page with that focus come game time, not even our best performance can get us a win.”

Butler’s offense came into the contest averaging nearly 15 shots per game. The Bulldogs mustered just seven shots against Michigan, with only three on target.

“To hold us to single-digit shot attempts, Michigan had high pressure the whole game that made it difficult to get shots off,” Reed said.

The physical bout had a total of 22 fouls, with one yellow card handed out to Toohey.

The Bulldogs look to bounce back from their defeat when they play Eastern Illinois on Friday in the Butler Bowl.