Men’s Soccer: Bulldogs mauled by Bears

The Butler men’s soccer team faced stiff competition Sunday, losing 2-1 to Central Arkansas in the final contest of a three-match homestand at the Butler Bowl.

The Bulldogs (1-1-2) were looking at a 2-0 deficit after the first 45 minutes.

Senior forward Ethan Miller put the Bears on the board with an unassisted strike in the 31st minute.

A little more than three minutes later, sophomore forward Daniel Sampedro scored what would prove to be the game-winning goal.

Butler attempted to turn the tables in the second half, outshooting the Bears (4-1-0) 13-1 overall, with a 6-1 advantage in shots on goal.

The Bulldogs tallied their only goal when sophomore defender Brandon Fricke sent a crossing pass to junior midfielder Adam Glanzer, who knocked a header into the upper right corner of the net.

Central Arkansas senior goalkeeper Cody Gibson and the Bears were able to hold on to the lead, with Gibson stopping five shots.

Severe weather brought an early end to Butler’s match against winless Northern Kentucky at the Bowl on Friday.

The non-conference match was halted in the 39th minute because of lightning and was eventually canceled. The contest could be rescheduled for a later date.

The Bulldogs were holding a one-goal advantage after a goal by junior Jordan Burt from 18 yards out.

Butler recorded four shots compared to two for the Norse.

Northern Kentucky is currently playing its first season as an NCAA Division I program.

The Norse are members of the Atlantic Sun Conference.

Northern Kentucky is currently 0-5 on the season.

The Bulldogs will face South Florida in the opening round of the Akron Tournament Friday.