White River cleanup scheduled for Saturday

Butler University students will be invading the Indianapolis community next weekend in support of an environmental cause.

The annual White River Cleanup is scheduled for Saturday.

Communities along the White River have formed groups to participate in the cleanup, including groups from Fishers, Noblesville and Carmel.

The cleanup is part of the, Adopt-a-River Program.

Butler has adopted a 1.5-mile stretch of the river that runs from Rocky Ripple to the Michigan Street Bridge.

There will be two crews helping with the river cleanup.

One crew will be picking up trash on the banks, and the other group will consist of 16 students in eight canoes picking trash out of the river.

Senior Kari Maxwell is one of the students from the Center for Urban Ecology (CUE) who is helping to organize the event for students on campus to participate.

Maxwell said that the students involved with the clean will probably find some interesting items in and around the river.

“My freshman year, I was on the land crew and we found a lot of random items,” Maxwell said. “We found bikes, a giant patch of broken glass. And then, of course, there was just basic trash. There were lots of cans and bottles.”

As of press time, there are 30 students signed up to participate in the cleanup.

Students who are looking for some extra volunteer hours, wanting to meet and network with other Butler students or just simply wanting to help out for a great cause still have time to sign up for the river cleanup.

Students will depart from Butler at 9 a.m. and should plan on getting dirty for about three hours while they clean the river.

For more information or to sign up, contact Kari Maxwell at kmaxwell@butler.edu.