Butler men’s soccer beats Providence 3-0 in Big East Quarterfinal

Butler first-year forward Palmer Ault taking a shot during Butler’s Nov. 6 win against Providence. Photo courtesy of Chandler Hart.

JAKE KAUFMAN | SPORTS REPORTER | jfkaufman@butler.edu

The No. 4 seed Butler men’s soccer team beat No. 5 seed Providence 3-0 at the Bud and Jackie Sellick Bowl Saturday night.  The Bulldogs improve to 10-5-3 on the season and 4-3-3 in Big East play after the win against the Friars.

The Bulldogs got the scoring started pretty early on. In the 13th minute, redshirt junior midfielder Tommy Visser sent a pass up ahead to redshirt senior midfielder Jack Streberger. As three Providence defenders closed in on him, Streberger dropped it off to first-year forward Palmer Ault who fired a shot into the left side of the net from less than five yards out, giving Butler a 1-0 lead. 

In the 26th minute, Butler redshirt junior defenseman DJ Hooks intercepted a pass intended for Providence goalkeeper Rimi Olatunji and delivered a shot that passed through the legs of a charging Olatunji, giving Butler a 2-0 lead. 

Following Hooks’ goal, the pace of the game slowed dramatically, with the two teams combining for three shots over the last 19 minutes of the first half.

After recording their second shot on goal in the 17th minute, Providence did not get another shot on goal for 45 minutes of game time until Butler fifth-year goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergji stopped a Kevin Vang attempt in the 62nd minute. 

In the 68th minute, Butler senior forward Wilmer Cabrera Jr. took a pass at midfield and sent it ahead to a wide-open Streberger. Streberger dribbled into the box and despite being open, dropped it off to Ault who punched it in with his left foot for his second goal of the night, giving Butler a 3-0 lead and Providence did not manage another shot on goal the rest of the night.

Butler outshot Providence 16-12 and finished with seven shots on goal to Providence’s four.  

Ault’s goals were his ninth and 10th tallies of the season. This was his fourth multi-goal game of the season. Hooks’ goal was his sixth of the season and the seventh of his career. Streberger’s two assists now give him four on the season and nine in his career. 

The No. 5 Providence Friars produced 12 shots, four on the frame, but were unable to solve Butler defense. Fifth-year goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergii completed four saves in the match, producing his fifth solo shutout of the season. He now has 21.5 shutouts in his career.

Butler improves to 6-4-1 vs. Providence all-time. 

The Bulldogs will continue their hopes of a Big East Tournament title on Thursday, Nov. 10 at 6:30 pm, when they take on the No. 1 seed Georgetown Hoyas.