Butler’s women’s soccer team grabs two wins this week to improve to 6-6-1

Junior defender Caitlin O’Malley scored the lone goal to help the Bulldogs defeat Villanova 1-0 at home. Photo courtesy of Butler Athletics.

CALEB DENORME | SPORTS REPORTER | cdenorme@butler.edu

The Butler women’s soccer team got a pair of wins this week over Big East opponents Villanova and DePaul to move their win streak to three games. These results improve the Bulldogs’ record to 6-6-1 on the season with five games left to play before tournament games begin. 

The Bulldogs got their first win of the week against Villanova at home on Thursday night. Butler started out the game strong and never looked back, outshooting the away side 30 to two, but only had seven of those shots on goal. The frame of the Wildcats goal was under constant duress throughout the contest, with the Bulldogs hitting the post or crossbar a total of four times.

Despite all the offensive firepower going forward for Butler, Villanova was able to keep the game scoreless until the 86th minute. Junior defender Caitlin O’Malley opened up the scoring off a Bulldogs set piece with only four minutes to play, putting the final nail in the Wildcats’ coffin. Redshirt junior forward Abigail Isger and first year midfielder/defender Amelle Darey were credited with the assist on the goal. 

The Bulldogs took to the road on Sunday, traveling to take on DePaul in Chicago. This was another game that was dominated for the most part by Butler, with the away side racking up 16 shots compared to DePaul’s seven. 

Butler drew first blood off of a corner kick in the 44th minute of the contest, with junior midfielder/defender Anna Schroeder volleying the ball into the back of the net. This goal was the first of her career at Butler.

DePaul’s Katie Godden evened the game for the Blue Demons 59 minutes in, but it only took the Bulldogs eight minutes to pull back in front. Redshirt senior forward Katie Soderstrom won a foul in the DePaul penalty area to grant Butler a kick from the spot which was converted by Isger.

From there the Bulldogs never looked back, winning the contest 2-1 and improving to 2-0 on the week. Butler will be back in action on Thursday, Oct. 13 in the Sellick Bowl, taking on St. John’s at 3 p.m.