Butler volleyball wins another five-set battle, then falls 3-0

Members of the Butler volleyball gather during a game this season. The team is now 8-6 in Big East play. Photo courtesy of Butler Athletics / Brent Smith.

SYDNEY DIGRAZIA | STAFF REPORTER | sdigrazi@butler.edu 

The Bulldogs played two away games on Nov. 8 and Nov. 10, traveling first to New Jersey to face off against Seton Hall, then to New York to compete against St. John’s. 

The first match seemed to be all Seton Hall, as they led 2-0 after winning the first two sets, 25-22 and 25-18. 

The Bulldogs were in a pretty big hole but didn’t give up. The third set was the momentum shifter. The Bulldogs went on a five-point scoring run late in the third set, leading to the 26-24 victory and forcing a fourth set. Seton Hall still led the match 2-1.

The fourth set was back-and-forth until about halfway through when Butler went on a multiple scoring runs, locking the fourth set up 25-19. The Bulldogs were then set to play in their 10th five-set match of the season. 

The fifth set had multiple ties, but Butler edged out the Seton Hall Pirates and completed the comeback victory by a score of 15-11. 

Melody Davidson had seven out of the 13 blocks for the Bulldogs. Shay Horn had a career-high 15 kills and added four digs, one block, and one ace. Elizabeth LaBue led the team in both digs and aces with 24 and two, respectively. 

On Nov. 10, Butler traveled to New York and competed against the St. John’s Red Storm. 

The Bulldogs kept the first set close until the very end when the Red Storm went on a late run, winning the first set 25-20. 

St. John’s then gained control of the game as the Bulldogs struggled to gain momentum. St. John’s won the second set, 25-19, and the third, 25-22, to complete the sweep of Butler. 

Megan Ramseyer had a team-high 21 assists, as Melody Davidson hit an impressive .529. 

St. John’s and Butler were in a similar spot in the Big East standings before the match on Nov. 10, but with St. John’s 3-0 victory, the Red Storm would go one game ahead of the Bulldogs in the conference. 

Butler returns home on Nov. 15, facing off against Providence at 6 p.m. On Nov. 17, the Bulldogs will compete against Creighton in Hinkle Fieldhouse at 1 p.m.