Butler volleyball goes undefeated in two-game home stand

Members of the Butler volleyball gather during a game this season. The team is now 4-2 in Big East play. Photo courtesy of Butler Athletics / Brent Smith.

SYDNEY DIGRAZIA | STAFF REPORTER | sdigrazi@butler.edu 

The Butler volleyball team continued its Big East success with a 2-0 showing against St. John’s and Seton Hall at Hinkle Fieldhouse this past weekend. 

On Friday, Oct. 11, the Bulldogs won a four-set battle against the St. John’s Red Storm. Butler came out strong, winning the first two sets, 25-21 and 25-20, respectively. 

St. John’s did not back down though, and had a strong third set showing, beating the Bulldogs 25-12. In a close fourth set Butler came out victorious, winning by the narrow score of 25-23. The Bulldogs won the match 3-1. 

Brooke Gregory led the team with 11 kills and a season-high eight blocks. Megan Ramseyer also led the Bulldogs to a win with 35 assists and two aces. Jillian Ziemba joined the strong service effort with three service aces. 

Following the win against St. John’s, the Bulldogs took on Seton Hall on Saturday, Oct. 12. Butler looked even stronger in this match, sweeping the Pirates 3-0. 

The match ended quickly, and seemed to be the Bulldogs best win yet. Butler won the first set, 25-13, the second, 25-14, and the third 25-16. 

Melody Davidson led Butler with 11 kills as Elizabeth LaBue led the team in digs, with 11. The Bulldogs hit an impressive .426 as a team.

Butler will return to the road as they travel to No. 13 Creighton on Oct. 18 and Providence on Oct. 20.