Butler women’s golf finishes sixth at MVC Fall Preview

Ally Ross stares down an iron shot in a tournament. Ross led the Bulldogs finishing in a tie for third individually. Photo courtesy of Stephen B. Morton/Big East.

CAROLINE CROSBY | STAFF REPORTER | ccrosby@butler.edu 

On Sept. 23-24, the Butler women’s golf team competed in its second tournament of the season at the MVC Fall Preview hosted by the University of Northern Iowa. The competition took place at Spirit Hollow Golf Course in Burlington, Iowa. The par-72 course was set up at 6,245 yards.

The Bulldogs finished sixth in a 15-team field, which included Missouri State University, Drake University and Southern Illinois University. The Bulldogs finished with a 325 (+37) in the final round after a pair of 319 team performances on Sept. 23. Butler finished the tournament at 963 (+99).

The 54-hole event included two rounds on Sept. 23, followed by a final 18 on Sept. 24. Butler’s lineup included Ally Ross, Katelyn Le, Claire Edwards, Emma Kelly and Megan Skoog. Lexy Stuckey and Avery VonDielingen competed as individuals.

Ross finished the tournament tied for third place. She shot a 10-over, 82, in the final round. She entered the final 18 holes with a two-shot advantage behind an even par-72 in the second round on Sept. 23. This matched the Spirit Hollow course record.

Le tied for 25th at 241 (+25). Skoog and Edwards each finished at 245 (+29), which placed them tied for 38th. Skoog climbed 17 positions on the leaderboard with her final round, 79. Kelly finished at 253 (+37) and in a tie for 64th. VonDielingen and Stuckey finished 78th and 79th, respectively, among the 96-player field.

Northern Iowa won the event at 942 (+78), followed by Missouri State and Drake who rounded out the top three.

Big East rival Creighton finished in a tie for eighth at 967 (+103).

The Bulldogs will host their next tournament, the Butler Fall Invitational, at Highland Golf Club Oct. 7-8 in Indianapolis.