Butler football wins home opener over Indiana Wesleyan in overtime

Butler quarterback Sam Brown threw for 251 yards and two touchdowns in Butler’s 30-27 win over Indiana Wesleyan. Photo by Chandler Hart.

DEVIN ABELL | STAFF REPORTER | dabell@butler.edu

The Butler football team defeated Indiana Wesleyan 30-27 in overtime at the Sellick Bowl on Sept. 7. This victory moves the Bulldogs to 1-1 while Wesleyan falls to 0-1 on the season.

The game started off slow for both teams but began to heat up when Wesleyan struck first with a touchdown from quarterback Zack Blair to Brayden Smith late in the first quarter. That gave the Wildcats a 7-0 advantage early on.

Butler would return the favor in the second quarter with a 28-yard field goal from Drew Bevelhimer to chip away at the lead, making the game 7-3.

The offenses began to come out as Wesleyan was able to score another touchdown through the air, again from Brayden Smith. The Bulldogs followed suit with Sam Brown finding Nate Rusk in the endzone — giving Rusk his first career touchdown.

Wesleyan was able to manage a 34-yard field goal by Ben VonGunten as timed expired in the first half, giving Wesleyan the lead 17-10 at halftime.

The Bulldogs came out firing in the third quarter with Brown completing a pass to Brad Huth for a touchdown, which tied the game at 17-17.

Turnovers alluded the Bulldogs’ defense in the first half as they had many chances to get them. However, they would start coming their way as Butler was able to get two interceptions in the third quarter by Mickey Kane and Devin Aguilar.

In the fourth quarter, Brad Sznajder helped the Bulldogs obtain their first lead of the night with a 14-yard touchdown that gave Butler the advantage 24-17.

The Wildcats would take it down to the wire as Smith was able to secure a back shoulder fade for a touchdown — giving him a hat trick on the day. The game would be sent into overtime.

The Wildcats received the ball first in extra time and were able to manage a 42-yard field goal from VonGunten, leaving Butler a chance to tie or win.

The Bulldogs were able to take advantage of this opportunity and used a trick play, letting Stephen Dennis sweep across the formation for a wide receiver jet, leaving nothing but green grass on the way to the endzone and securing the 30-27 victory for Butler.

The Bulldogs will take on Taylor at 6 pm on Saturday, Sept. 14 at the Sellick Bowl.