Butler softball suffers setback at Ball State

Maddie Moore makes a throw from shortstop. Moore drove in Butler’s first run of the game. Jimmy Lafakis/Collegian file photo.

KEELEN BARLOW | STAFF REPORTER | klbarlow@butler.edu

Pitcher Alyssa Graves had struck out 10 batters and allowed just one hit through five innings for the Butler softball team against Ball State on April 23.

But with one swing in the bottom of the sixth, the Cardinals took a 3-2 lead and sank the Bulldogs in their final non conference game of the season, moving them to 15-28 on the year.

It was the Bulldogs’ sixth loss in their last seven games.  

Gabby Magnifico drew a walk with one out for the Cardinals. Amaia Daniel then smoked a 2-run pinch-hit home run to centerfield that gave Ball State a 3-2 lead. The Cardinals had not let at any point in the game before Daniel gave them the slight edge.

Butler’s rally would fall short in the top of the seventh as they left two runners in scoring position.

The Bulldogs jumped on the Cardinals right away in the top of the first inning. Maddie Moore’s double into left center scored Lauren Fey from first base.

Ball State would tie the game in the bottom half without marking a hit. Graves walked three consecutive batters, then struck out three consecutive batters to end the Cardinals rally with the bases loaded.

Butler tacked on one more run in the third. Kaitlin Doud drew a walk and pinch runner Emma Morton later scored off a Karli Ricketts double off the wall in center.

Butler left the bases loaded in the third.

Butler would nurse the lead for three innings until Daniel’s go-ahead homer. Graves cruised through the middle innings. It was her fourth outing of the season with double digit strikeouts.

But Graves threw her 100th pitch just before allowing the home run. She was pulled right after as Ricketts came in to pitch the final 0.2 innings.

The Cardinals scored their three runs off just three hits. Their run in the first inning was unearned.

With a trip to the Big East tournament being unlikely, the Bulldogs have just six games left of their 2019 campaign.

They will travel to Providence for a Big East three-game series this weekend. Their home slate will wrap up with a series against St. John’s May 4-5.

Follow Keelen on Twitter @KeelenBarlow