Butler softball falls to Illinois-Chicago in extras

Alyssa Graves delivers a pitch during Butler’s loss to Illinois-Chicago on Mach 27. Graves pitched eight innings in the game. Photo by Jimmy Lafakis.

KEELEN BARLOW | STAFF REPORTER | klbarlow@butler.edu

The Butler softball team fell 4-2 at home to Illinois-Chicago in eight innings on March 27. The loss moved the Bulldogs’ record to 11-20 on the year and snapped their two game winning streak. The loss also moved Butler to 0-2 against the Flames this season. Butler fell 3-2 to UIC at the Saluki Invitational back in early March.

With Alyssa Graves in the circle, the Bulldogs grabbed a 2-0 lead off single runs in the first two innings. Bri Avery scored off a throwing error by the Flames in the first. Maddie Moore then singled with the bases juiced in the second inning.

The Bulldogs left the bases loaded in the second inning.

Graves pitched a complete game for the Bulldogs while allowing two earned runs and striking out seven batters. She was flawless through the final three innings before extras as the Flames struck out five times and failed to put a runner on base.

Graves’ start was marred by an error at third base with two runners in scoring position during the fourth inning. The Flames tied the game as they scored a pair of runs off a ball down the third base line.

The Flames made use of a walk and a hit-by-pitch to lead off the top of the eighth inning. UIC took the lead off a timely single from Tara McElligott and a sac fly from Skylee James.

Butler was sat down in order in the bottom of the eighth.

The Bulldogs are scheduled to host Villanova for their second weekend of Big East play on March 30 and 31. Heavy rain and thunderstorms are expected Saturday afternoon.

Follow Keelen on Twitter @KeelenBarlow