Butler Dancers to choreograph and perform showcase

Butler Ballet students Carolan Norris and Audrey Lukacz rehearse for the student choreography showcase. Photo by Peter Larson.

EMILY SCHLORF | STAFF REPORTER | eschlorf@butler.edu

Oct. 25 and 26 at 7:30 p.m., the Butler Ballet will perform a free dance showcase, completely run by students.

Ken Shiozawa, a junior dance performance major, said the only part of the show that needed faculty assistance was lighting.

“This showcase allows dance students to create their own, original works and present them for the faculty, other JCA students and anyone else who can come out and see the show,” Shiozawa said.

The performance is choreographed, staged, marketed and performed by students of all grade levels within the dance program.

Ciara Cicalese, a senior dance arts administration major, also choreographed for the event.

“My piece uses ballet and Irish dance,” she said. “The music is a blend of a traditional Irish song and even an Ed Sheeran song. It will be a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to perform it for the Butler community.”

Fiona Connolly, a junior dance arts administration major said that “pieces of all styles and genres will be showcased.”

The Butler Ballet will showcase 13 student-choreographed pieces to the public, including classical ballet, modern pieces, a comedic dance, and even a piece inspired by the dances of India.

Connolly had an integral role in the marketing of this event and said she hopes her efforts will pay off, and Butler students will come and support the dance department.

“People always know about and attend the Nutcracker shows, but student choreography is something we created all by ourselves and are very passionate about,” Connolly said.

The Student Choreography Showcase is free for the public and counts as recital credit for JCA students. The doors to Lilly Hall 310 will open at 7:15 p.m. on both nights, and audience members are encouraged to get to the showcase early to secure a seat because space is limited.