No. 25 Butler women’s soccer improves to 4-0 with road victory over Dayton

Paige Monaghan dribbles down the field during the Bulldogs victory over No. 20 Notre Dame on Aug. 26. Monaghan has two goals and four assists through Butler’s first four games. Collegian file photo/Jimmy Lafakis.

KEELEN BARLOW | STAFF REPORTER | klbarlow@butler.edu

The Butler women’s soccer team improved to 4-0 on the season with a 1-0 win in a non-conference road matchup against the Dayton Flyers on Aug. 30. After Butler averaged three goals per game through their first three regular season matchups, the story turned out to be quite different in the matchup with the Flyers.  

For most of the first half, neither team was able to find a decent chance at a goal as Butler led the Flyers in shots 10-1 through the first 45 minutes.

Arguably the best shot at grabbing the lead in the first half came in the 38th minute off a chance by Dayton’s Quincy Kellet. The junior forward corralled the ball from inside the box and sailed the ball over the top right corner of the net.

After 42 minutes of scoreless play, Butler was able to grab a 1-0 lead with a little help from the Flyers. Senior forward Paige Monaghan was able to draw a foul to the left of the net, allowing freshman midfielder Katie Soderstrom to step in as Butler was awarded a free kick. Soderstrom sailed the ball towards the net where the Flyers scored an own goal to give Butler a 1-0 lead at the break.

Although the Flyers outshot Butler 7-4 in the second half, neither team was able to find the back of the net in what turned out to be a defensive slugfest through 90 minutes.

The Bulldogs will continue their 2018 campaign with a road matchup against No. 19 Kansas on Sept. 2.

Follow Keelen on Twitter: @KeelenBarlow