Butler women’s soccer aims to keep momentum going

Paige Monaghan dribbles down the field during the Bulldogs’ 4-1 victory over No. 20 Notre Dame on Aug. 26. Monaghan has two goals and four assists through Butler’s first three games. Collegian file photo/Jimmy Lafakis.

KEELEN BARLOW | STAFF REPORTER | klbarlow@butler.edu

The 2018 season is already well underway for the Butler women’s soccer team and the Bulldogs have wasted no time getting into mid-season form.

Coming off an NCAA tournament appearance last season, Butler has jumped out to a 3-0 record while outscoring opponents 9-2 in those wins. Most notably, the Bulldogs knocked off previously-ranked Notre Dame 4-1 last Sunday behind a three-goal second half performance.

The win catapulted the Bulldogs into the No. 25 spot in the United Soccer Coaches poll, their first ranking of the 2018 season after receiving votes in the two previous polls.

The Bulldogs are led by two preseason All-Big East selections in senior forward Paige Monaghan, a unanimous selection, and redshirt junior defender Annika Schmidt. The duo swept the most recent edition of the Big East Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week after the win over the Irish.

Monaghan was also tabbed as the 2018 Big East Preseason Offensive Player of the Year after winning the award last season. Her eight points this season lead the team following a two-goal performance against Notre Dame.

Heading into 2018, the team was picked to finish second in the Big East Conference behind the defending regular season and tournament champion No. 11 Georgetown Hoyas.

Monaghan hopes the team takes the recognition in stride while also focusing on the work to be done.

“Obviously it’s an honor, but we have a short memory with those things,” Monaghan said. “It’s nice to be recognized with preseason honors but at the same time, what are you gonna do with it?”

This year’s schedule is bolstered by several other 2017 postseason teams and also include those who are currently in the top 25.

The Bulldogs opened up the 2018 season at Kent State, who was the preseason pick to win the Mid-American Conference, then followed that up with a home match against IUPUI, a 2017 NCAA Tournament participant.

In addition, the Bulldogs will travel to take on three Big 12 Conference foes in Baylor, TCU — both coming off an NCAA appearance — and No. 19 Kansas.

“Not only does that test you and give you good experience when it comes to league play,” co-head coach Tari St. John said, “but it also puts you in a position where if you get results against these top teams that we have scheduled, now we don’t have to solely rely on winning the conference tournament for an invite to the NCAA Tournament.”

After allowing a school record low of seven goals over the course of the 2017 season, defense has once again been a strength for the Bulldogs.

Throughout the 2018 preseason and regular season, the Bulldogs have only allowed two goals in five wins over Wright State, Illinois, Kent State, IUPUI and Notre Dame.

“Our coaches just build the mindset that we’re not only an offensive team but a defensive team too,” Schmidt said. “We focus on both areas. Without every single girl on the field playing defense, we wouldn’t have been able to shut teams out like we did last season.”

Goalkeepers redshirt junior Hannah Luedtke and sophomore Leonie Doege have split action for the Bulldogs through three games this season. The two have combined to post a save percentage of .800. Doege was voted the 2017 Big East Freshman of the Year after notching a .936 save percentage, which led the nation.

“As a goalie, my motivation for every game is, ‘As long as I don’t let in a goal, then I’ve done my job for the team and we can only win,’” Doege said. “I’m just looking to be as supportive as much as I can because every action and reaction matters.”

Amid a myriad of talent returning from the 2017 team is a number of new faces. This offseason the team added Macy Miller and Cassidy Blacha, a pair of transfers from Indiana University, along with a freshmen class of nine players.

In her Butler debut, freshman forward Anja Savich scored two goals in the team’s win over Kent State, earning her Big East Freshman of the Week honors. She then followed that up with a goal against IUPUI. Fellow freshman midfielder Morgan Kloosterman has also netted three goals for the Bulldogs. Six of the eight Bulldog goals of the 2018 season have come from the foot of a freshman.

“Knowing that we were going to have 11 new players that weren’t here last fall, we were going to have to find ways for them to connect with their teammates quickly and get them involved and know our system,” St. John said. “That was really our priority in the preseason.”

The Bulldogs will continue their 2018 campaign on Aug. 30 with a road match against the Dayton Flyers.

Follow Keelen on Twitter: @KeelenBarlow