Butler women’s basketball falls to DePaul in third straight conference loss

Whitney Jennings dribbles the ball up the court earlier this season. Jennings led the team with 18 points against DePaul. Collegian file photo. 

CHRIS BROWN | STAFF REPORTER | cbbrown@butler.edu

The Butler University women’s basketball team fell to 3-4 in Big East play with an 87-65 road loss to DePaul University on Jan. 14. The team is now 11-8 overall on the season.

Butler got off to a rough start in the game, with the Blue Demons limiting the Bulldogs to seven first quarter points while scoring 15 of their own. Butler nearly kept pace with DePaul in the second quarter, but five first half 3-pointers helped the Blue Demons take a ten-point lead into halftime.

Although the Bulldogs matched the Blue Demons in points in the early stages of the third quarter, DePaul would eventually begin to pull away, outscoring Butler 27-20 and 22-17 in the final twenty minutes to capture the victory.

Redshirt junior guard Whitney Jennings led Butler with 18 points, and also tallied two rebounds and five assists. Junior center Tori Schickel collected 17 points and eight rebounds.

A strong second quarter helped junior guard Michelle Weaver finish with 12 points, while sophomore guard Kristen Spolyar scored eight points and sophomore forward Shae Brey led the Bulldogs with nine rebounds.

For the game, DePaul outshot Butler from the field 48 percent to 46 percent. The Blue Demons made 12 3-pointers in the game, shooting 33 percent from beyond the arc, while Butler made just three 3-pointers, shooting roughly 20 percent.

After three games in six days, the Bulldogs will get a five-day break before returning to action against Creighton University at Hinkle Fieldhouse Jan. 19.