Butler cross-country competes at NCAA Great Lakes Regional

Sophomore Bobby Johnson and senior Matt Lumbar lead the pack of runners at the Butler Twilight meet earlier this season. Lumbar led the Bulldogs with an 11th place finish at the Great Lakes Regional meet on Nov. 10. Photo courtesy of butlersports.com.

JOSH MULLENIX | STAFF REPORTER | jmulleni@butler.edu

The Butler men’s cross-country team finished seventh out of 26 teams in the Great Lakes NCAA Regional. The women’s team finished 20th out of 31 teams.

The men were led by senior Matt Lumbar (31:17.2) and freshman Barry Keane (31:19.5). The two Butler runners finished 11th and 12th, respectively. Keane was the highest placing freshman at the event. Both runners could potentially receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Championships next weekend in Louisville, Kentucky.

Junior Johnny Leverenz (31:39.5) finished 27th followed by sophomore Evan Johnson (31:56.8) who finished 35th and Eric Baugh (33:04.4) in 96th rounding out the five counting scores for the Bulldogs. Butler’s total team score was 181.

Seniors Jonathan Collier and Michael Carey rounded out the lineup for the Bulldogs. Sophomore Euan Makepeace, who finished ninth at Regionals last year, did not run.

Michigan State won the team event, followed by Michigan and Wisconsin respectively. Eastern Michigan rounded out the top-four teams. Ben Flanagan of Michigan won the individual event with a time of 30:54.0.

The women’s team was led by Josephine Thestrup. The sophomore finished 38th with a time of 21:24.6. Freshman Angelina Ellis had the second best time for the Bulldogs finishing 96th.

Senior Hannah Hartzell finished closely behind finishing in 106th. Freshman Camille Hines and sophomore Kristen Johnson finished 148th and 169th respectively to round out the Bulldogs’ five scores.

Freshman Kelly Mindak and sophomore Kara Stark rounded out the Butler lineup.

Katherine Receveur of Indiana won the individual event with a time of 20:34.9 and the University of Michigan won the team title.

The Bulldogs will not receive automatic bids because they did not finish in the top two of the region. However, individuals and the teams have a chance to receive an at-large bid. Those bids will be released later this week.