Bulldogs drop five-set thriller

Freshman middle blocker Rachael Klitzing rises up to spike the ball out of an opponent’s reach on Sept. 16. Collegian file photo. 

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER | jlafakis@butler.edu

The Butler University volleyball team experienced heartbreak in the nation’s capital on Friday night. Georgetown University defeated the Bulldogs in five sets.

Junior outside hitter Anna Logan, redshirt junior outside hitter Whitney Beck and senior setter Makayla Ferguson all recorded double-doubles in the loss. Ferguson posted 38 assists, 12 digs, four kills, two services aces and a block.

“My defense was much better tonight,” Ferguson said. “I was more focused in on the hitters and where they were swinging. I think we learned about some of our tendencies that teams are picking up on, and we will learn to make those adjustments sooner so that we are a harder team to scout.”

The final score of the match was 19-25, 25-22, 19-25, 25-16, 13-15. Butler led the final set 13-10. Logan posted a team-high 17 kills and added 11 digs.

“The Big East has some serious competition this year,” Logan said. “Every team is out to win, especially since only the top four teams can make the conference tournament. Losing in five is always tough, but we’ll cut back on errors, pass the ball in system and get back to playing Butler volleyball.”

Butler fell to 12-4 (2-2 Big East) with the setback. Head coach Sharon Clark said the Bulldogs were unusually error-prone during the match.

“It came back to bite us at the end,” Clark said. “We fought our way back in the fourth set to even the score.”

Butler will continue the road trip against Villanova University today. The matinee begins at 3 p.m.

“We will need to serve tougher and get them out of system more,” Clark said.