Butler women’s basketball fall behind St. John’s 62-41

Freshman Sydney Shelton defends a Ball State University player. Photo by Adam Cvik.

DANA LEE | SPORTS REPORTER | delee1@butler.edu

The Butler University women’s basketball team fell 62-41 against Big East opponent St. John’s University Jan. 5. The loss sets the team’s overall record 4-11 and are now 1-3 in conference play.

Shots refused to fall for the Bulldogs throughout the game, resulting in just a 30 percent field goal success rate. Offensive struggles during the opening and closing quarters hindered scoring for the team and closed out any opportunities to catch their opponent.

Head coach Kurt Godlevske sent Kristen Spolyar, Tori Schickel, Alexa Bailey, Sydney Shelton and Michelle Weaver to represent the starting five. The lineup consisted of all underclassman, as junior veteran Sydney Buck is out indefinitely with a lower body injury.

Freshman Spolyar and sophomore Schickel highlighted Butler’s performance with 10 points each. Schickel led the team defensively with eight rebounds.

Butler scored just five and six points in the first and fourth quarters, respectively. The Bulldogs made one lone field goal in the first quarter while their defense was unable to shut down a 13-0 Red Storm scoring run. The women shot 26 percent from the field in the first half.

A stronger third quarter pushed the team within four points of the Red Storm but the Bulldogs were unable to tie the score.

Four out of five players for St. John’s scored in double digits. The Red Storm increased their field goal shooting percentage from 37 percent in the first half to 50 percent by the second half. The visitors capitalized by scoring 18 points off Butler miscues and gained 17 second chance points.

The Butler women will travel to  Xavier University on Jan. 8 at 2 p.m.