No. 15 men’s soccer holds off Marquette 2-1 on senior night

Freshman midfielder Lewis Suddick keeps the ball from a Marquette University defender. Photo by Adam Cvik.

COLLIN PERRY | STAFF REPORTER | ccperry@butler.edu

The Butler men’s soccer team netted their tenth win of the season over Marquette University 2-1 on Oct. 29 in their final game of the season at the Butler Bowl.

The Golden Eagles took advantage of an early Butler turnover and scored in the 5th minute.

Just 10 minutes later, freshman Lewis Suddick found the net for the ninth time this season to tie the match 1-1. Suddick was assisted by sophomore Jared Timmer. The match was tied going into halftime.

In the 65th minute, senior  David Goldsmith broke the tie to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead. It was Goldsmith’s team-leading 11th goal of the season. Goldsmith was assisted by Michael Peay and Alex Lehtinen.

“I’m really happy we managed to get that goal,” said Goldsmith. “It was a huge win for us. With two games left, it really helps us in the Big East standings.”

Goalkeeper Eric Dick recorded three saves on the night with the win. Kieran Geldenhuys deflected a Marquette shot with no time left for a team save to seal the victory.

Goldsmith, Mitch Ostrowski, Charlie Constantino, A.R. Smith, Robert Flott and Tanner Witsken were all recognized before the game on senior night. It was their last regular season game at the Butler Bowl.

“I told the boys, ‘Yeah, it’s senior night and we’re going to go out there and announce them’,” Head Coach Paul Snape said. “But the best way we can pay tribute to these great kids is to go out there and win and prolong our season. Ideally, we’d like to be playing in December.”

No. 15 Butler improves to 10-5-1 overall record and a 5-3 conference record.

The Bulldogs head to rival Xavier Nov. 3 at 7 p.m. to wrap up the regular season. It will be streamed live on the Big East Digital Network. The Big East Tournament begins on Nov. 6.