Softball drops two games on first day of Nashville tournament

GRANT ANSCHUETZ | STAFF REPORTER | ganschue@butler.edu

The Butler University softball team started a five game weekend in Nashville, Tennessee on Feb. 19.

It was a rough start to the weekend for the Bulldogs. They lost two games on Friday. Their first loss came at East Tennessee State University, and Louisiana-Monroe University handed the Bulldogs their second loss of the day.

In game one, sophomore second baseman Maggie MacBeth had two of the team’s three hits in the game. The Bulldogs were unable to push a run across in the game, and they ended up losing 1-0.

Senior pitcher Kristin Gutierrez delivered another strong performance for Butler on the mound. She pitched six innings, allowed four hits and struck out five batters. The only run East Tennessee scored was unearned.

The Bulldogs were able to put two runs on the scoreboard in game two, but they fell 5-2 against Louisiana-Monroe.

Offensively, junior center fielder Brandyce Sallee hit a solo home run, and freshman designated player Kaitlin Doud drove in the team’s other RBI.

Junior pitcher Kacey Starwalt threw two innings for Butler, and Doud took the mound for the other four.

The Bulldogs have one game Feb. 20 against the University of Evansville at 9:15 p.m. ET and two more games on Feb. 21, one against Northern Kentucky University at 12:45 p.m. ET and the other against Tennessee State University at 5:15 p.m. ET.