Volleyball picks up win at Providence

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER

Freshman Anna Logan’s team-high 17 kills propelled the Butler volleyball team to a victory over the Providence Friars on Friday night. Logan added 13 digs to give her a double-double.

Two other Bulldogs reached double-figure kill totals in the win. Senior Mary Streidl posted 15 kills and nine digs, and redshirt sophomore Jessica Klingensmith recorded 10 kills in 22 swings to post a .342 attack percentage.

Sophomore Makayla Ferguson finished with a team-high 35 assists.

“Our offense was just clicking tonight,” head coach Sharon Clark said. “We hit .253, and Anna Logan was awesome offensively. In game two, we finally started passing well and we served aggressively.”

Butler dropped the first set (22-25), which was the first time Providence has won a set in the all-time series.

However, the Bulldogs found their stride at the end of that opening set and never looked back. They went on to win the next three sets (25-15, 25-22, 25-18) to take the match.

“We didn’t really have a lot of energy in the first set, but we ended the [set] on a big serving run,” redshirt freshman Whitney Beck said. “That carried over into the second set.”

Butler moved to 8-16 (4-7 Big East) with the victory, while Providence dropped to 10-16 (1-11 Big East).

The Bulldogs will travel to New York tonight to face the St. John’s Red Storm (15-12, 5-7 Big East). Clark said St. John’s will force the team to make changes on the fly.

“We [will] make adjustments to St. John’s new personnel,” she said. “They are using a new setter, and it has been a long time since we have seen them.”

“We [want] to stay consistent in all aspects, and we definitely want to win the serve and pass game against St. John’s,” Beck said. “That will help us be successful.”