Men’s Soccer Falls 1-0 to DePaul

DANA LEE | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler men’s soccer team was unable to overcome an early goal from DePaul on Wednesday night, losing 1-0 at the Butler Bowl.

The lone goal came in the eighth minute, when DePaul’s Jake Scheper was able to capitalize on a Butler turnover, shooting the ball from the right side. After deflecting off of a Butler defender, the ball found it’s way to the back of the net.

Butler head coach Paul Snape said that he felt his team was not playing their best, but still saw some positives in the loss.

“I thought we weren’t particularly sharp,” he said. “We weren’t really deadly out-wide or out-front like we normally are. I thought there were a few times where we moved it real well and we competed.”

Butler was able to produce quality chances and maintained solid control of the ball but failed to get one on the scoreboard. Marco Charalambous got a good look in the 25th minute of the first half, but his shot went just wide of the goal. Five minutes later, DePaul’s goalie Mack Robinson knocked away a shot from Butler’s Jeff Adkins to keep his team on top.

In the second half, Bennett Kim played a ball from Charalambous, but his shot fell off to the right. At the end of the night, Butler held a 15 shot advantage over DePaul, 20 to five. Leading the Bulldogs with four shots was Jeff Adkins. Eric Leonard and Kim tallied three shots each.

Snape emphasized that the team controls its own destiny with the Big East tournament approaching.

“DePaul came with a game plan and it seemed to work for them and right now it’s one of those where we have to recuperate and we got to get back,” he said. “It was a tough loss today.”

The Bulldogs play Marquette in an away game on Saturday night at 8 PM.