Butler opponents in the Big Dance

Nine of Butler’s opponents this season made the NCAA Tournament — five Big East teams, and four non-conference teams.

The Bulldogs were 7-9 in those games.

BIG EAST TEAMS

Villanova (32-2 overall, 16-2 Big East) | East No. 1 seed

The Wildcats stormed through the Big East schedule, with just two losses coming against Seton Hall and Georgetown. Jay Wright’s squad has won 15 straight games, including a 69-52 win over Xavier for his first Big East Tournament title.

The Wildcats will play No. 16 seed Lafayette tonight at 6:50 p.m. on TBS.

Georgetown (21-10, 12-6) | South No. 4 seed

The Hoyas were upended by Xavier in the Big East Tournament semifinals after going on a three-game win streak. It is considered a bit of a surprise that the Hoyas snagged a No. 4 seed, especially after the Xavier loss. They will play No. 13 seed Eastern Washington tonight. The game will follow the conclusion of the Utah-Stephen F. Austin game that tips at 7:27 p.m. on truTV.

Providence (22-11, 11-7) | East No. 6 seed

Ed Cooley’s Friars lost two of their last three — a four-point loss against Butler, and a two-point loss against Villanova in the Big East Tournament.

They will face the winner of tonight’s No. 11-seed play-in game between Dayton and Boise State tomorrow night. The game will be on truTV following the 7:27 p.m. Oklahoma-Albany game.

Xavier's James Farr blocks Kellen Dunham in the Musketeers' 67-61 overtime win over Butler in the Big East Tournament Quarterfinals.

Xavier’s James Farr blocks Kellen Dunham in the Musketeers’ 67-61 overtime win over Butler in the Big East Tournament Quarterfinals.

Xavier (21-13, 9-9) | West No. 6 seed

Xavier sputtered into the Big East Tournament, losing two of its last three games, but knocked off Butler and Georgetown on consecutive nights in the Big East tournament to strengthen its resume, despite getting blown out by Villanova in the championship game.

The Musketeers will play tonight against Ole Miss, who won Tuesday’s play-in game. Tip off is set for 4:10 p.m., following the Baylor-Georgia State game that tips off at 1:40 p.m. on TBS.

St. John’s (21-11, 10-8) | South No. 9 seed

Chris Obekpa will be suspended for the first two games of the NCAA tournament.

The Red Storm had an up-and-down season, featuring marquee wins over Georgetown and Providence, but ugly losses against Villanova (105-68) and on the road at ninth-place Creighton.

They have the tough task of taking on the nation’s second-ranked defense in No. 8 seed San Diego State tomorrow without big man Chris Obekpa in the lineup.

NON-CONFERENCE TEAMS

Oklahoma (22-10, 12-6 Big 12) | East No. 3 seed

The Sooners took care of Butler 59-46 in the Battle 4 Atlantis back in November. Their marquee wins came against Baylor, West Virginia, Kansas and Iowa State. They also had a couple blemishes on their resume with two losses against Kansas State.

Oklahoma fell to Iowa State in the Big 12 Championship. The Sooners take on No. 14 seed Albany tomorrow.

North Carolina (24-11, 11-7 ACC) | West No. 4 seed

Butler beat the Tar Heels back in November at the Battle 4 Atlantis, and it looked like they would yet again go on an early season slide with a loss to Iowa. But the Tar Heels showed some grit with a regular season win over Louisville and two close games with Duke. They then went on to beat Louisville and Virginia in the ACC Tournament before losing to Notre Dame in the title game.

They play No. 13 seed Harvard today.

Indiana (20-13, 9-9 Big Ten) | Midwest No. 10 seed

The Hoosiers dismantled Butler 82-73 back in December at the Crossroads Classic, gaining momentum headed toward the Big Ten schedule. But they were relatively disappointing in conference play with losses against Iowa and Northwestern, but snagged upset wins over Maryland and Ohio State.

The Hoosiers play No. 7 seed Wichita State tomorrow.

Belmont (22-10, 11-5 Ohio Valley) | East No. 15 seed

The Bruins looked like they would finish on the outside looking in, but with four straight wins to end the regular season and three wins in the OVC Tournament, they grabbed a bid by upsetting conference front runner Murray State.

They have the tall task of taking on No. 2 seed Virginia tomorrow.