Ice, ice baby

NATALIE BLOOM | STAFF REPORTER

During the warmer months, it is easy to find many things to do in the hustle and bustle of Indy. Whether it be walking around Broad Ripple or exploring the city, there’s always something to do during a study break.

However, with rapid snowfall and chilling temperatures taking over Indianapolis, Butler students may be looking for new ways to have fun on the weekends.

The Indiana State Fairgrounds, located on E. 38th Street, hosts a wide variety of great events throughout the year.

This winter, the Fairgrounds is hosting public ice skating at the Youth Arena, located on the south end of the Coliseum.

The location is indoors, so while the ice keeps you cool as you skate, there’s no need to worry about bundling up.

The rates are also extremely affordable, with admission for anyone ages 4 and up at only $6. If you don’t have your own skates, figure skate rentals are only $4.

“I like how they play fun music while we skate,” one patron, her face flushed from the cold, explained. “And as a college student, it’s nice to have something affordable to do on the weekends.”

Never touched a rink? No worries: The Winter Club of Indianapolis, a non-profit organization that promotes figure skating in the area, has classes for any skill level or age located at the arena.

If you’d rather watch the pros than tear up the ice yourself, The Indy Fuel hockey team hosts games regularly at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum with tickets starting at $14.

Next time you’re itching to get off campus, keep your cool and head over to the Indiana State Fairground for some winter fun.