Track team preps for trip to South Bend

BRENDAN KING | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler track and field team will head north to the University of Notre Dame to compete in its seventh meet of the season at the Meyo Invitational Feb. 6 and 7.

The Bulldogs are coming off a strong showing at the Indiana Relays where three runners –  junior Tom Curr, freshman Johnny Leverenz and senior Harry Ellis – finished in the top 10 of their respective 800 meter races.

The top performance for the women’s team came from freshman Laura Riches who finished fourth in the women’s mile. Her finishing time of 4:51.69 was the fourth-fastest in Butler history, according to butlersports.com.

The Bulldogs have improved in every meet since their first action at the Mastadon Opener at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.

Senior leadership proved to be key so far this year with leadership coming from the likes of Ellis and Mara Olson. But the freshmen of the team have proven they are Big East caliber runners after placing right along with the seniors this season.

Butler will compete in five meets in the month of February, while they will be in only two in March.

Consistency will be key for the Bulldogs for the rest of the season. With the balance of leadership coming from many parts of the team, the Bulldogs are in a good position to compete in the Big East.