Depleted Bulldogs fall in home opener

AUSTIN MILLER | ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR

The Bulldogs saw their first action in the newly-renovated Hinkle Fieldhouse Sunday afternoon, but a depleted roster struggled early against Indiana State University. Despite a late surge, Butler fell 66-51.

Junior Blaire Langlois and freshman Sydney Buck scored 14 points each and Andriana Moore recorded her first career double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds in the losing effort for the Bulldogs, who only had six players see action in the game.

Alexis Newbolt hit five three-pointers off the bench for ISU to lead all scorers with 15 points. Racheal Mahan added 11 points and nine rebounds for the Sycamores, who had ten players enter the scoring column.

Neither team could find the bucket early, as the teams were scoreless for the first three and a half minutes of the game. Indiana State took control of the action early, going on a 17-3 run midway through the first half to take a 14 point lead into halftime.

ISU continued to dominate the game early in the second half, using a 17-4 run out of the break to go up by 27, their largest lead of the game.

The Bulldogs (0-2) were able to cut the lead to 12 with two minutes to go after seven straight points by Moore, but would get no closer before the final horn.

Butler struggled offensively for most of the day, going just 27% from the floor on 14 of 52 shooting. They were also 6 of 22 from the 3-point line.

Perhaps the most telling statistic came in points off the bench, of which the score was 39-0 in favor of Indiana State. The Sycamores also outrebounded BU 48-33.

Butler remains without guards Lexus Murry and Loryn Goodwin, who are both serving temporary suspensions for violating team policy.

The Bulldogs will be back in action later this week, when they host the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Wednesday night at Hinkle Fieldhouse.