Seasonably early “Blizzard” to hit campus

HALEY BAAS

hbaas@butler.edu

Staff Reporter

Butler Theatre begins its performance season this month with “The Blizzard,” which Butler’s website calls “a romantic tale with a twist.”

Butler’s production is based on the novel by Russian author Alexander Pushkin. The play features a young aristocratic woman and the circumstances that befall her.

She first falls in love with an officer, only to have her heart broken when he dies in combat. However, romance soon enters her life again.

Elaina Artemiev, Butler Theatre faculty member and Russian native, is the play’s adapter and director. She said she wanted to share the story of one of Russia’s most famous authors with the stage.

“I love Pushkin’s work, and this has not been staged before,” Artemiev said. “I had the opportunity to direct what I have dreamt about doing with the support of the theatre department.”

The performance features current Butler students and alumni in a collaboration project. 

“We are working a lot with improvisation, and I encourage the students to bring any proposals they have to me,” she said.

Stage manager Gloria Graham said she sees the production as more than just a play. 

“It’s not a play. It’s a book,”  Graham said. “It is coming to life on stage rather than individual actors each saying their lines.”

Diane Timmerman, chair of the Butler theatre department, recommends “The Blizzard” for anyone who is intrigued by acting.

The performances will take place in the black box theatre, which is located on the third floor of Lilly Hall.

“This provides a very close proximity to the actors, something that not a lot of people get to experience,” Timmerman said. 

“The Blizzard” also allows its cast the opportunity the work alongside alumni, which many of the younger members have not experienced before, Graham said.

“It is really inspirational for actors to see where they can grow and where Butler can take them,” Graham said.

The evening performances of “The Blizzard” will take place Sept. 11 and Sept. 12 at 7 p.m. A matinee performance is scheduled for Sept. 13 at 2 p.m.

Tickets go on sale Sept. 1 at $5 for students, $10 for senior citizens and $15 for adults.