Softball picks up the pace

MARKO TOMICH | Contributing Reporter

Despite dropping three of five games over the course of the Frost Classic, the Butler softball team finished strong, picking up two wins in its final three contests.

Senior pitcher Leah Bry pitched two complete games for both of the Bulldogs’ (4-9) victories.

Butler dropped its first two games at the Frost Classic to Northwestern State and tournament host Chattanooga.

The bulldogs bounced back in a shutout victory against Radford. Butler racked up two runs and six hits on 25 at-bats.

Freshman infielder Chelsea Norwood put Butler on the board with a single, driving in freshman catcher Brandyce Sallee. Junior outfielder Sarah Gronowski also singled, bringing in Butler’s final run.

Butler dropped the fourth contest of the Classic to an Ohio University squad, that 12 -1 on the season.

Sophomore pitcher Kristin Gutierrez (1-4) took the mound against the Bobcats and gave up seven hits, and three runs in just four innings.

Butler scored late to get a come-from-behind victory against Austin Peay on Sunday in its last game.

Austin Peay jumped ahead early on a two-out single in the third. Butler scored runs of their own in the fourth and fifth innings.

Sallee scored junior infielder Kristen Boros on a single late in the game. Sallee leads the team with a .350 batting average and .449 on-base percentage.

The Bulldogs will travel to the University of Kentucky on Friday to compete in the U of K Invitational.  Butler will face the University of Pittsburgh in the opener.