Volleyball: Bulldogs off to perfect start

BY JOHN YELEY | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler volleyball team is 4-0 after beating Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in five games last night.

Butler beat the Jaguars 25-21, 28-30, 23-25, 26-24, 15-9 behind 20 kills and 17 digs from junior Belle Obert.

Butler trailed IUPUI 24-23 in the fourth set, before scoring three straight to keep the match alive.

Over the weekend, Butler got off to a dominating start  at the Cincinnati Invitational in the club’s season debut.

The Bulldogs swept Cincinnati and defeated Morehead State in four sets on Friday, before finishing out the tourney with a sweep of Tennessee on Saturday to improve to a 3-0 record on the season.

“I thought we played well and showed great composure,” coach Sharon Clark said. “We are missing two players with injuries, but fortunately the young players were able to step up right away.”

Obert was named Most Valuable Player in the invitational for her performance in all three of the Bulldogs’ games, recording a team-leading 32 kills, 21 digs, 16 blocks and two service aces on the weekend. Seniors Morgan Peterson and Claire Randich also were named to the All-Tournament Team.

“The tournament was a great way to start,” Obert said. “Our blocking picked up right where we left it last year, and that was definitely a strong point.”

This weekend, the Bulldogs travel to Tucson, Ariz., for the Arizona Desert Classic. They have a match against Arizona (2-1) on Friday, and matches against Utah Valley (1-2) and Eastern Kentucky (4-0) on Saturday.