Football team drops season opener

BY ADAM WINAY | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler football team will play its first home game Saturday with an 0-1 record after losing 55-14 over the weekend to South Dakota State, ranked No. 7 in the FCS Coaches Poll.

The Bulldogs’ first home game is Saturday at the Butler Bowl against Division III Wittenberg. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.

It is Wittenberg’s first game of the season, after ending last season in the second round of the Division III playoffs with a 10-2 record.

On Saturday, South Dakota State came sprinting out of the gates, taking just 39 seconds to score on its first possession.

South Dakota State running back Zach Zenner was the workhorse during the Jackrabbits’ first possession, rushing for 80 yards and a touchdown.

The Bulldogs scored on redshirt senior quarterback Matt Lancaster’s rushing touchdown on their second possession. This was Butler’s only scoring possession during the first half.

By halftime, the Bulldogs were outscored 31-7.

“I think we got ourselves in some good spots offensively and defensively,” coach Jeff Voris said. “Just [the Jackrabbits] were physically and athletically able to make a couple plays even though we were in good position.”

The Bulldogs were able to score only once more in the third quarter on a five-yard touchdown run by senior running back Trae Heeter.

Lancaster ended up with 140 passing yards, completing 17 of his 26 passing attempts and throwing one interception. Lancaster also ran for 63 yards and a touchdown.